Homemade Pumpkin Pie
A Thanksgiving tradition that’s easy as … pie
I love pie! And this homemade pumpkin pie is no exception. Not only is it easy to make, it also tastes delicious thanks to a lick-the-can-good secret ingredient: sweetened condensed coconut milk. It has an ooey-gooey, honey-like texture that is delicious and you can use it in almost any recipe that calls for sweetened condensed milk. Licking the can of the condensed coconut milk is absolutely okay – just tell your family and friends the recipe demands it!
Bonus: This homemade pumpkin pie is allergy-friendly! For a gluten-free version, use a gluten-free crust like I did. I always think it’s funny when I make something that’s gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free or soy-free, yet nobody has any idea because it doesn’t taste like cardboard pie. If you don’t eat dairy, omit the whipped cream or use a dairy-free version. Even if you don’t have diet restrictions, you’ll love this pie!
Quick tip: Prick your pie crust with a fork before baking. This allows steam to escape and prevents your crust from bubbling.
Watch the video (see ingredients and directions below)
- 1 gluten-free, unbaked deep dish pie crust (or any pie crust)
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15-oz) can organic pure pumpkin
- 1 (11.25-oz) can sweetened condensed coconut milk (we use Nature’s Charm)
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Optional (but highly recommended)
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prick pie crust with a fork.
- Crack eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Add pumpkin and whisk until smooth.
- Add sweetened condensed coconut milk (don’t forget to lick the can!), salt, and spices and whisk again.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into pie crust.
- Bake 35-40 minutes.
- Let pie cool for 2 hours.
- Slice and serve topped with whipped cream and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon.
Deliciously simple. Enjoy!