Turkey Taco Lettuce Cups
’Tisn’t your typical taco
When you say “tacos,” people pay attention. Any food that lets you customize with your own toppings is usually pretty great, and this Turkey Taco Lettuce Cups recipe is super great because it also offers some healthy twists on the standard taco.
First, we’re using ground turkey, which offers a much lower fat content than ground beef. Second, the bibb (also known as Boston or butter) lettuce has a higher nutritional value and fewer carbs than a typical fried corn tortilla shell. Third, we’re making a homemade taco seasoning, and if you’re limiting your sodium intake and avoiding preservatives and artificial coloring, homemade is healthier.
Plus, homemade seasoning tastes much better because the ingredients are fresh. And here you’ll learn how easy it is to make your own, using seven dry ingredients many people already have in their spice drawer. I admit it, though: Sometimes I’m in a hurry and will buy a store-bought taco seasoning. If you find yourself in a similar bind and end up with a store-bought seasoning packet in your shopping cart, be sure to check the ingredients and buy one with quality (and fewer) ingredients.
Speaking of quality ingredients, the bibb lettuce leaves are already conveniently shaped into cups, helping contain the taco components to a point. However, structurally, these tacos can get a little messy. Who cares, though? Tacos are meant to be a little sloppy, and we promise this one is worth a few messy fingers.
So break out the the napkins, because you’ll have delicious, healthful tacos in (and on!) your hands in about 15 minutes!
Watch the video (see ingredients and directions below)
Turkey Taco Lettuce Cups
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 c turkey stock
- 2 to 3 heads bibb (aka Boston or butter) lettuce, large leaves separated out
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- salsa verde (as much as you want!)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Olive oil, about 3 tbsp
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
For the taco seasoning
- Put all the spices in a small bowl and stir. (Yes, that’s all there is to it!)
- Set aside.
For the tacos
- Place large skillet over medium-to-high heat and coat well with olive oil.
- Add ground turkey.
- Once it’s nicely browned, sprinkle with your homemade seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Add turkey stock, mix well and cook about 5 minutes to meld flavors.
- Place lettuce leaves side by side on serving dish and fill each with 3 tbsp turkey mixture.
- Top with diced onion, sliced avocado and salsa verde (or any other topping you’d like!).
- Enjoy the healthy crunch of green instead of heavy crackle of yellow.
Deliciously simple. Enjoy!